What is it about dough envelops that make for the most appetizing and often addicting snack foods? From egg rolls to wontons, hand pies to pizza pockets—stuff any type of doughy capsule with a sweet or savory filling, and boom! Watch those finger-friendly foods disappear.
This recipe for Southwestern egg rolls marks the fourth egg roll variety to grace these pages. We’ve got the classic sesame chicken egg rolls, the eat-your-greens kale egg rolls and, my personal favorite, the avocado egg rolls (a homemade takeout on a popular restaurant favorite!).
You can keep these Southwestern egg rolls vegetarian by omitting the taco-seasoned chicken and doubling up on beans and corn, but for a meal-in-a-roll, load up those wrappers with all of the above, plus a good sprinkling of shredded cheese to lend the necessary gooeyness.
And I’ve saved the best news of all for last: These Southwestern egg rolls are baked, not fried! So you can forget bringing the oil to a boil and still achieve that characteristic egg roll crunch, all thanks to your oven and a quick spritz of olive oil. A protein-packed egg roll sans the grease and oil that comes with deep-frying? I’ll take a dozen!
When it comes to dipping, consider these Southwestern egg rolls to be tacos, sans the mess. So guacamole and salsa are welcome accompaniments, but I wouldn’t judge you if, you know, some queso turned that dip duo into a tasty trifecta. And don’t forget the Peach Sangria Popsicles for dessert!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels (if frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 12 square (7-inch) egg roll wrappers
- Olive oil or cooking spray, for coating
- Guacamole or salsa, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Add the ground chicken to a medium nonstick sauté pan set over medium-low heat and cook it, breaking it apart with a spatula, until it is no longer pink. Add the garlic powder, ground cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until combined.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a large bowl then stir in the black beans, corn and cheese.
- Arrange the egg roll wrappers on a dry work surface so that the corner of each wrapper is closest to you. Add a small amount of water to a dish.
- Place ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture in the lower third of each wrapper then beginning at the bottom, roll the wrapper up and fold the edges inward. Before your final fold, wet your finger with the water and rub it around the edges. Roll the wrapper shut, pressing lightly to seal the edges together.
- Arrange the egg rolls, seam side down, on the baking sheet then brush them lightly with olive oil or coat them with cooking spray. Bake the egg rolls for about 15 minutes or until they’re golden brown and slightly crisped. Remove the egg rolls from the oven and serve them with guacamole or salsa for dipping.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.