What is it about dough envelopes that make for the most appetizing and often addicting snack foods? From egg rolls to wontons, hand pies to pizza pockets—stuff any type of doughy capsule with a sweet or savory filling, and boom! Watch those finger-friendly foods disappear.
This recipe for Southwestern egg rolls marks the fourth egg roll variety to grace these pages. We’ve got the classic sesame chicken egg rolls, the eat-your-greens kale egg rolls and, my personal favorite, the avocado egg rolls (a homemade takeout on a popular restaurant favorite!).
You can keep these Southwestern egg rolls vegetarian by omitting the taco-seasoned chicken and doubling up on beans and corn, but for a meal-in-a-roll, load up those wrappers with all of the above, plus a good sprinkling of shredded cheese to lend the necessary gooeyness.
And I’ve saved the best news of all for last: These Southwestern egg rolls are baked, not fried! So you can forget bringing the oil to a boil and still achieve that characteristic egg roll crunch, all thanks to your oven and a quick spritz of olive oil. A protein-packed egg roll sans the grease and oil that comes with deep-frying? I’ll take a dozen!
When it comes to dipping, consider these Southwestern egg rolls to be tacos, sans the mess. So guacamole and salsa are welcome accompaniments, but I wouldn’t judge you if, you know, some queso turned that dip duo into a tasty trifecta. And don’t forget the Peach Sangria Popsicles for dessert!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels (if frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 12 square (7-inch) egg roll wrappers
- Olive oil or cooking spray, for coating
- Guacamole or salsa, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Add the ground chicken to a medium nonstick sauté pan set over medium-low heat and cook it, breaking it apart with a spatula, until it is no longer pink. Add the garlic powder, ground cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until combined.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a large bowl then stir in the black beans, corn and cheese.
- Arrange the egg roll wrappers on a dry work surface so that the corner of each wrapper is closest to you. Add a small amount of water to a dish.
- Place ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture in the lower third of each wrapper then beginning at the bottom, roll the wrapper up and fold the edges inward. Before your final fold, wet your finger with the water and rub it around the edges. Roll the wrapper shut, pressing lightly to seal the edges together.
- Arrange the egg rolls, seam side down, on the baking sheet then brush them lightly with olive oil or coat them with cooking spray. Bake the egg rolls for about 15 minutes or until they’re golden brown and slightly crisped. Remove the egg rolls from the oven and serve them with guacamole or salsa for dipping.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
Tried the ‘egg rolls’ –perfection on a plate!! (But I think you should correct an error at the beginning of the narrative. I think you meant to say ‘envelopEs’ and not ‘envelops’) I love your recipes and always say “Oh, I’m so glad you’re enjoying the dish! It’s from Kelly at Just a Taste!”
You’re the best, Frannie! Updating that typo now :) So glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Could you possibly use ground beef instead of the ground chicken?
These came out AMAZING!!!!! Thank You
You are so welcome, Robyn! I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe!
YUM! Thanks for sharing :)
You are so welcome, Jess! I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe!
We really enjoy them. I increased cheese to closer to a cup. We like them a little cheesier! We also used ground turkey.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Stephanie!
We really enjoy them. I increased cheese to closer to a cup. We like them a little cheesier!
Love these!! I used ground turkey bc it’s what I had on hand! Also put this in my WW app and they are 3 pts for 1 egg roll so it’s a great appetizer when following WW!
Woohoo! I’m so thrilled you enjoyed the recipe!
We are going to try them but use rotisserie chicken
I made these exactly as the recipe was written. Meh. Very bland, no taste. So disappointed.
I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the recipe, Elle.
Recipe states it yields 15 egg rolls yet ingredients state 12 egg roll wrappers. Am I missing something?
Thanks for catching that, John! The yield has been updated to 12 egg rolls.
Love your egg rolls recipe!
I’m so glad to hear this, Nina!
This sounds great! IS the nutrition information for one egg roll?
Thank you so much, Gail! And yes, the Estimated Nutrition Information is for one egg roll. :)
Our guests loved these. A great, easy to make recipe.
Awesome! Thank you so much for rating the recipe, Kathleen!
Do you think these could be frozen for a later cook time?
Definitely, Scarlet! Just remember to really wrap the rolls tightly when assembling them, and also make sure they’re wrapped very securely in plastic wrap in the freezer. :)