Preheat your oven for a fall favorite with this crowd-friendly recipe for Caramel Apple Bread Pudding.
Labor Day may be a distant memory, but the San Diego sunshine is still in full force (sorry, east coasters, but it’s the norm around these parts!). So while the temperatures may suggest otherwise, I declare it is, finally, fall food season!
Fall is my absolute favorite time of year when it comes to cooking. We get to bust out all the trendy pumpkin favorites and transform apples into everything from apple dumplings and apple tarts to apple fritter rings (a brunch must!), and my personal favorite, apple pie egg rolls.
But would it really be fall without a good ol’ caramel apple?
My go-to recipe for the classic sweet-on-a-stick became an instant favorite around here when I shared it back in 2016, but it seemed it was time for a new spin on the beloved marriage of sticky sugar and juicy fruit.
Caramel Apple Bread Pudding brings home all the classic caramel apple flavor without the stick-to-your-teeth’ness of the traditional treat. It’s loaded with tangy Granny Smith apples, pillowy brioche bread and a vanilla custard that will make your taste buds swoon.
A final drizzle of caramel atop this warm treat will have you ditching the sticks (and floss) and grabbing a spoon for what’s guaranteed to become a fall dessert favorite.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 cups brioche bread, cubed
- Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
- Homemade or store-bought caramel sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan with the butter and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the apples and lemon juice.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla extract, cinnamon, allspice, salt, sugar and brown sugar. Add the brioche bread to the bowl and fold until the bread is well coated then fold in the apples.
- Pour the bread mixture into the prepared baking dish, including any remaining liquids, and spread it into an even layer. Cover the dish securely with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for a minimum of 1 hour or up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the baking dish from the fridge, discard the plastic wrap and bake it until it is set and golden brown on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Allow the bread pudding to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving with whipped cream or ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.