Just when you thought dessert couldn’t get any simpler than the aptly named Easiest-Ever Ice Cream Cake, I present to you the newest frosty treat to fill your freezer: Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake!
Now that Julian has fully embraced The Solid Food Movement (your days are numbered, purées!), we’re treating him to a few spoonfuls of ice cream every now and then as the summer temperatures are on the rise. And just like his mom, he doesn’t discriminate when it comes to the how’s and why’s of ice cream cakes. If it involves ice cream and cake, we’re game.
This latest creation takes “easy dessert” to a whole new level. It’s quick to make, fast to freeze and can be customized with all of your favorite fresh fruit toppings.
I’m about to go all meta on you, because this recipe stars ice cream sandwiches… wait for it … sandwiched together with pillowy whipped cream. Sandwiches inside sandwiches. #mindblown
I’ve gone the DIY route with my Secret Ingredient Whipped Cream, but a tub of you-know-what (read: Cool Whip!) will work just as well. Then all that’s left to do is line up a row of ice cream sandwiches, slather on the whip cream and repeat until you reach the top of the pan. A quick freeze and then a final topping of the season’s freshest berries turns a store-bought dessert into an easy ice cream sandwich cake.
You can use any flavor of ice cream sandwiches. I’ve kept it simple with the chocolate-vanilla variety, but Neapolitan would add a pop of color and flavor to each layer.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 15 ice cream sandwiches (See Kelly’s Note)
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries
- Chocolate chips, for garnishing
- Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap so that it hangs over on all sides.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. (Alternately, use a handheld beater.)
- Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches and arrange them in a single layer on the bottom of the loaf pan, trimming them as needed to fit the shape of the pan. Top the ice cream sandwiches with a third of the whipped cream then add another layer of ice cream sandwiches on top and press them down lightly. Add another third of the whipped cream on top then another layer of ice cream sandwiches followed up the final third of whipped cream. Cover the pan securely with plastic wrap and freeze the cake for a minimum of 2 hours or until it is firm.
- When ready to serve, use the plastic wrap overhangs to lift the cake out of the pan. Top it with the raspberries and chocolate chips then slice and serve immediately.
- You may need more or less than 15 ice cream sandwiches, as it'll depend on the size of the specific brand you use.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.