Grab the fresh fruit for a refreshing sundae topping with this summer-ready recipe for 10-Minute Blueberry Sauce.
When it comes to ice cream sundaes, there are two teams in this world: Team Toppings and Team Mix-Ins.
I am Team Toppings all the way! I like a very classic ice cream flavor base (preferably vanilla bean), and then any and all toppings imaginable. But if I had to choose just one, it’d be fruit. Smashed raspberries, chopped strawberries, roasted peaches — name the fruit and I’ll toss it atop my dairy dessert.
So when it comes to sauces, fast and fresh blueberry sauce ranks at the top of my list. This easy recipe takes only 10 minutes to make and requires only four ingredients. Simply toss them all together and let the stove work its’ magic.
Best of all, if you’re not a blueberry sauce enthusiast, use this exact same recipe template with any other fruit to yield the same saucy result. And this sauce isn’t just for sundaes! Spoon it atop cheesecakes and bundt cakes or use it as a dip for doughnuts.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Make a slurry by combining cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons water.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine the blueberries, remaining water, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Bring to a gentle simmer and allow berries to break down, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk in the slurry and continue to gently simmer the mixture until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a container and let it cool completely before serving or storing it, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.