Enjoy a restaurant favorite from the comfort of your kitchen with this fast and fresh recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Crêpes.
If you’re tired of pancakes, a bit worn out on waffles and not really feeling the pastry situation, then allow me to introduce you to your next breakfast (or snack … or dessert) creation: Strawberry Cream Cheese Crêpes!
My first authentic experience with crêpes was during a trip to Paris in college. They were hot off the griddle, smothered with Nutella, and quickly folded into quarters then stuffed into a paper cone. They were perfection.
Since that first taste, I’ve been keen to order the stuffed, rolled or quartered pockets of deliciousness nearly every time I’ve seen them pop up on a restaurant menu, be it savory (ham and gooey cheese) or sweet (sautéed peaches and caramel).
But if you have a blender and a few simple ingredients, this French favorite is only minutes (rather than miles!) away.
The key with making these Strawberry Cream Cheese Crêpes is to work incredibly quickly once the batter hits the hot pan. You have to swirl it just fast enough to coat the entire bottom of the pan without overloading it with batter. Because too much batter = thick, rigid crêpes that are impossible to roll or quarter.
But here’s the real beauty of this recipe: Once you master the technique, the filling options are endless. I’ve opted for a pairing of tangy vanilla-flavored cream cheese (a.k.a. cheesecake) and freshly sliced strawberries, but you can swap in whatever fruit is in season.
Looking for more ways to turn strawberries into breakfast show-stoppers? Don’t miss recipes for 5-Ingredient Strawberry Breakfast Pastries, Strawberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast, and my personal favorite, No-Churn Strawberry Ice Cream!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the crepes:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, divided
Make the crêpes:
- In a blender, combine the eggs, milk, water, melted butter, flour and salt. Blend under combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Place a crêpe pan or medium nonstick sauté pan over medium-low heat. Once the pan is hot, add about 2 ½ tablespoons of the batter and quickly swirl it to coat the entire bottom of the pan in a thin layer. Once the edges are set, flip the crêpe once and continue cooking it another 30 seconds then remove it to a plate.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining batter, stacking the crêpes atop one another and covering them with a damp towel.
Make the filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and lemon zest and beat it with a handheld mixture until smooth. (Alternately, stir together the mixture by hand or using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.) Fold in 1 cup of the sliced strawberries.
- When ready to serve, slather each crêpe with a portion of the filling then roll it up or fold it into quarters. Top the crêpes with the remaining 1 cup of sliced strawberries and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.