Skip the skillet in favor of an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese recipe that sandwiches your melted cheeses of choice in a hot and toasty bread pocket.
You could keep the crusts on for this classic combination of bread, cheese, and your choice of butter or mayo (Team Mayo for the win!), but I love how sealing the sandwich shut around the edges ensures all that melted cheese can’t escape. Grab your own sandwich sealer over on Amazon and let the grilled cheese-ing begin!
How to Make Grilled Cheese In an Air Fryer
The key to a successfully toasted and perfectly melted grilled cheese cooked in an air fryer comes down to temperature and time. The ideal setup is 360°F for 5 to 7 minutes. Curious which air fryer to buy? Check out my Ultimate Air Fryer Guide for recipes, tips and links to the best air fryer.
A variety of fat is needed to coat the bread to ensure it gets crispy and golden brown. Softened butter, mayonnaise and cooking spray all work well, but I’d make a strong push for mayo on the flavor front.
The Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese
A combination of flavor and melt-ability determine the best cheeses for making a cheese pull-worthy sandwich. I love classic sharp cheddar or Colby Jack, but mozzarella, gruyere and smoked gouda are also high on my list.
Love the idea of DIY Uncrustables? Don’t miss my Homemade Uncrustables Guide for the ultimate stuffed sandwich inspiration!Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Air fryer
- 2 slices cheese of choice
- 2 slices sandwich bread of choice
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise or unsalted butter, softened
- Sandwich the cheese slices between the two pieces of bread.
- Butter both sides of the sandwich then place it inside the air fryer basket.
- Air-fry the sandwich at 360°F until golden brown and crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly then serve.
- Keep the crusts on or go my homemade Uncrustables route by stamping out the sandwich with a cookie cutter and sealing the edges shut. Check out the link to my favorite Uncrustables cookie cutter above!
This post may contain affiliate links.