Skip the forks and use your fingers for the ultimate family-friendly recipe for Bacon Pancake Dippers.
It doesn’t get much more classic than the good ol’ breakfast combo of pancakes and bacon. But what happens if these two icons join forces? You get the ultimate mashup: Bacon Pancake Dippers.
As a child, I would always dip my bacon in syrup, which is likely the flavor pairing that kickstarted my love for all things sweet and salty. But something magical happens when a crispy piece of bacon gets a warm hug from a pillowy soft pancake…
A flavor and texture explosion takes place.
When creating this recipe, I tested several approaches to outlining and covering a strip of bacon with pancake batter. My biggest concern was that the batter could possibly soften the bacon, which means we’d lose our crispiness factor. Not an option!
So the real trick to ensuring your bacon remains crunchy and your pancakes cook all the way through is to spoon the pancake batter around and then directly on top of the bacon.
Allow each pancake dipper to cook until bubbles form only around the edges, then flip it once and let it continue cooking until it is puffed and no longer doughy.
If you’re feeding a crowd of tiny taste-testers, feel free to do half-size portions by either slicing the bacon prior to cooking it or just breaking each slice of bacon in half before surrounding it with batter.
The great news is that Bacon Pancake Dippers freeze like a breeze. So whip up a big batch then let any leftovers cool completely before wrapping them securely in plastic wrap, sealing them in a plastic bag and popping them in the freezer. When the morning breakfast rush hits, pop one or a dozen into the microwave for 30 seconds or until it’s warmed through, then let the dipping begin!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, egg and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. (The batter should be lumpy.)
- Grease a griddle or grill pan with butter.
- Arrange several slices of the cooked bacon on the griddle, spacing them at least 3 inches apart.
- Spoon the pancake batter around and on top of the bacon. Allow the pancake to cook until bubbles form across the outside edges. Flip the pancakes once and continue cooking until they are cooked through.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining pieces of bacon and pancake batter.
- Serve the pancakes warm with maple syrup for dipping.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.