Melted chocolate and juicy watermelon aren’t the most common companions. And I certainly had my doubts about pairing the two up since melted chocolate getting cozy with anything water-based often leads to a inedible, seized mess. So how do we make refreshing chunks of watermelon and silky-smooth chocolate get along? One word: Freezer.
The bite-sized servings of watermelon go for a quick freeze before being dunked in your choice of melted chocolate and finished with a sprinkle of sea salt. Remember that the better quality of chocolate you use, the better these sweet and salty bites will taste. And feel free to swap sprinkles for the sea salt, or add some extra crunch with chopped nuts to round out this easy, refreshing and healthy dessert.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 3 cups cubed watermelon (1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup chopped chocolate
- Sea salt, for garnishing (optional)
- Line a baking sheet or large plate with wax paper. Arrange the watermelon cubes on the wax paper so that they aren't touching one another. Stick a toothpick atop each piece of watermelon then place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Dip each frozen piece of watermelon into the melted chocolate. Shake off any excess chocolate then immediately sprinkle the chocolate with sea salt. (The chocolate will harden very quickly.) Return the dipped watermelon pieces to the wax paper to set fully. Serve immediately or store in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Do not use chocolate chips in this recipe, as they have a waxy coating that makes it more difficult for the chocolate to adhere to the watermelon.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not republish this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.