Ditch the coffee shop snacks in favor of this quick and easy recipe for Cream-Cheese Filled Pumpkin Muffins.
Cream cheese, you complete me. You steal the show in cheesecake. You beautify brownies. (Just look at that swirl.) You kick up coffee cake. You even managed to improve the best chocolate chip cookie recipe of all time. So it should come as no surprise that pumpkin + cream cheese = muffin perfection.
This quick and easy recipe for Cream-Cheese Filled Pumpkin Muffins is guaranteed to make you pass on the pastry case at your local coffee shop. With plenty of pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spice, there’s no doubt this is the pumpkin muffin to end all pumpkin muffins. Add a tangy filling that’s quite reminiscent of cheesecake, and we have ourselves a winner.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the muffins:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup water
For the cream cheese filling:
- 1 package cream cheese (8-oz.), at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin pan with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set the bowl aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the pumpkin and mix until combined.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and water to the bowl, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Blend the batter well, scraping down the sides as needed. Spoon a portion of the muffin batter into each cup filling it ¾ full.
Make the cream cheese filling:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla. Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a piping bag or sealable plastic bag and snip off the tip. Pipe about 1 ½ tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin cup.
- Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.