Update your side dish spread with a recipe for Extra Crispy Roasted Potatoes featuring a not-so-secret trick to guaranteeing maximum crunch in every golden brown bite.
When it comes to potatoes, I’m firmly in the French Fries Rule Above All Else camp. How can you possibly beat golden brown batons destined for dunking in ketchup, Ranch, barbecue sauce or all of the above?
So if it’s not a starch in fry form, I’m probably not going for it. That is, until Extra Crispy Roasted Potatoes made their way into my recipe repertoire.
Despite making a career out of cooking, I also find myself faced with the inevitable daily question of, “What’s for dinner?” I generally have the protein element covered, with a longstanding rotation of Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin, Broccoli-Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breasts and The Ultimate Asian Flank Steak.
And the side dishes to accompany the stars of the show? In all honesty, it comes down to foraging through my fridge and pantry for leftover odds and ends that can be cobbled together into something vaguely resembling a co-star to the main event.
That’s where the trusty tater comes in. It doesn’t get much easier, more affordable or more customizable than Extra Crispy Roasted Potatoes. They legit go with everything. Breakfast for dinner? Great! Call ’em “breakfast potatoes” and you’re done. Turkey burgers? Fabulous! Here’s your starchy side that will roast while you tend to your patties.
So what’s my secret to ensuring these extra crispy potatoes live up to their name?
It all comes down to pre-heating the baking sheet in the oven, so the first contact the sliced spuds have with the surface leads to an instantaneous sizzle. The result? Truly the crispiest, crunchiest, crackliest roasted potatoes on the planet.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or other preferred spices)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place a baking sheet in the oven then preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil then add the garlic powder (optional), salt and pepper. Toss until well-coated.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven. Add the potatoes to the hot baking sheet, spreading them into a single layer.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and roast the potatoes until golden brown and crispy, 50 to 60 minutes, flipping the potatoes every 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.