Make morning meal time a breeze with a 15-minute recipe for heart-healthy Quinoa Breakfast Bowls piled high with your choice of fruits, nuts and seeds.
Breakfast can often be a flurry of flung-open cereal boxes, granola bars on the go and smoothies sipped at stoplights, but now your morning meal just got a whole lot easier with my latest favorite take on a.m. eats: the oh-so-versatile Quinoa Breakfast Bowls!
Hearty whole grain quinoa stars in this make-ahead masterpiece, which can be customized with toppings to suit taste buds of all ages. It’s quick, creamy and a great alternative to oatmeal.
How to Cook Quinoa
Quinoa, while technically a seed, is a quick-cooking whole grain loaded with nutrients. It’s rich in antioxidants and vitamins. What I love most about quinoa is that it’s a blank canvas. It can go savory or it can go sweet, simply by taking on the flavor of the ingredients it’s paired with.
In this recipe, quinoa is simmered with both water and coconut milk, which leads to an incredibly creamy outcome in just 15 minutes. Pro Tip: When cooking quinoa, it’s important to look at the individual seeds and confirm the hulls have popped open. When you bite into cooked quinoa, it should have a bit of pop in terms of texture.
What to Put in a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
There is no limit as to what you can pile atop and stir into these breakfast bowls. Go the savory route with a poached egg and crispy bacon bits, or keep it naturally sweet with a rainbow of fruits. I love the addition of toasted nuts for a touch of crunch, along with a drizzle of honey and a shower of chia seeds for an additional antioxidant kick.Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 (13.66-oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tablespoon honey (optional)
- Yogurt or milk, for serving
- Assorted fruit, for topping
- Assorted nuts, for topping
- Nut butter, for topping
- In a medium saucepot set over medium heat, stir together the coconut milk, water and quinoa. Bring the mixture to a boil then cover the saucepot, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Lightly fluffy the quinoa with a fork then stir in the honey (optional). Divide the quinoa into serving bowls.
- Serve with your choice of milk or yogurt then top with assorted fruit, nuts or nut butter.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!