Skip the box mixes and preheat your oven for the ultimate recipe for Simple Skillet Cornbread.
There’s just something about the texture and slightly sweet taste of cornbread that makes it the perfect accompaniment to soups and stews of all kinds.
This variation is loaded with corn kernels (fresh or frozen), and while the batter can be poured into just about any size muffin pan or baking dish, these wedges of golden brown perfection are served up skillet-style!
I’ve been cooking and baking more and more with my go-to cast-iron skillet (hello, lasagna … and cookies … and corn!) but this Simple Skillet Cornbread gets my vote for the easiest and tastiest skillet side.
The real secret to the best skillet cornbread is to slather it with unsalted butter right when it comes out of the oven and then drizzle generously with honey. A shower of chopped fresh chives adds a touch of oniony flavor to every bite.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Unsalted butter, for greasing skillet
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen (See Note)
- Honey, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or 9x11-inch with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and vegetable oil.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and ½ teaspoon kosher salt and mix just until combined then stir in the corn kernels.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and bake the cornbread for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving topped with honey (optional).
- If you are using frozen corn, it doesn’t have to be thawed since it’ll cook in the oven.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.