I appreciate scones for their honest ability to make eating dessert totally acceptable for breakfast. Much like muffins are just cupcakes without frosting (when someone explained this to me years ago, my life was never the same #denial), scones are just triangular-shaped cookies.
Does this mean we can’t still enjoy them in the morning hours? Absolutely not. And in fact, these strawberry scones were designed to make those early hours all the more tolerable.
The real key to scone success comes down to texture. We’re looking for light, tender, flaky and moist, all in a single bite. And with a few tips on technique (read: don’t overmix!) and a not-so-secret ingredient (hello, sour cream), these strawberry scones achieve all of the above and then some.
Whether you go the chocolate chunks or chocolate chips route is a decision I leave entirely up to you. Much like Girl Scout cookie preferences, I find the Chunks vs. Chips debate to be an ever-lively one. I happen to fall on Team Chunks for the simple fact that chunks are usually larger in size than chips. And
less more is always more when it comes to chocolate.
Serve the scones warm with a simple slathering of unsalted butter, or up the fruit flavor with a dollop of strawberry jam. And for more scone varieties, don’t miss recipes for Chocolate Chunk Scones, Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones and White Chocolate Chip Raspberry Scones.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the cubed butter, and using your fingers or two forks, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles the consistency of wet sand.
- In a separate small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the heavy whipping cream, sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and using a spatula, mix just until combined. (Do not overmix the batter or the scones will be dense.) Add the strawberries and chocolate chips and mix just until combined.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Transfer the dough onto your work surface and gently pat it into an 8-inch round disk. Using a sharp knife, cut the disk into 8 wedges then arrange the scones on the baking sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with heavy whipping cream.
- Bake the scones for 22 to 25 minutes or until pale golden. Remove them from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.