A sweet snack takes a turn on the savory side with my all-time favorite recipe for Zucchini Bacon Cheddar Scones.
Four words: Zucchini Bacon Cheddar Scones.
You can’t possibly pack any more goodness into these light and tender savory scones that do double duty as breakfast essential or 24/7 snack.
With all the sweet scone varieties I’ve baked up over the years (hello, chocolate chunks, juicy berries and citrus glazes!), it’s hard to believe it’s taken me more than a decade to go the savory route.
Let’s just say these were more than worth the wait!
There’s a little bit of crunchy bacon, cheddar cheese and shredded zucchini in every single bite, and each ingredient lends its own strengths—bacon for flavor, cheese for gooeyness and zucchini for so. much. moisture.
Bacon cheddar scones, in and of themselves, would be a glorious creation. But the zucchini is the not-so-secret ingredient that takes these wedges over the top. And what’s not to love about a full serving of veggies alongside your bacon-cheese quota?
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini Chips
- Cheesy Baked Zucchini Tots
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Healthy Taco Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out scones
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a box grater, shred the zucchini then transfer it into a paper towel or dish cloth and squeeze out all liquid. Measure out 1 ½ lightly packed cups of the zucchini and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the cubed butter, and using your fingers, incorporate it into the flour mixture until it is unevenly crumbly.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk with 2 of the eggs then add the mixture to the bowl with the flour and mix just until combined.
- Add the shredded zucchini, cheddar cheese and chopped bacon and mix just until combined.
- Transfer the dough onto a generously floured work surface, gathering it into an 8-inch circle that’s about 3/4-inch thick.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 even wedges them transfer the scones onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Beat the remaining 1 egg with a splash of water or buttermilk then brush the tops of the scones.
- Bake the scones for about 20 minutes or until they are pale golden.
- Remove the scones from the oven and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.