Add a seasonal spin to a breakfast favorite with this quick and easy recipe for Glazed Orange Cranberry Scones loaded with fresh fruit.
They’re light. They’re tender. And this particular variety happens to be ringing in all the seasonal flavors. Welcome to the pastry party, Glazed Orange Cranberry Scones!
Can we take a moment to answer a question I’ve been dying to know the answer to?
Have you ever cut open a fresh cranberry?
That photo up above was the first time I’d ever really studied the inner workings of a cranberry. Creeped out yet? Just take a closer look… closer… even closer. They’re stunning, inside and out!
Fold them into my go-to scone dough, toss in a hearty portion of fresh orange zest, and please find yourself transported to a winter wonderland. But I couldn’t stop there…
After a solid dousing of heavy cream, these bad boys are popped into the oven, and once cooled, met by a citrusy glaze that sets up perfectly atop each wedge-o-glory.
Drooling yet? Preheat your oven and raid your pantry for these impossibly light and flavor-packed Glazed Orange Cranberry Scones!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- White Chocolate Chip Raspberry Scones
- Chocolate Chunk Scones
- Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Zucchini Bacon Cheddar Scones
- Sour Cream Strawberry Scones
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the scones:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (and thawed) cranberries, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for topping
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
Make the scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cubed butter to the bowl and using your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand. Stir in the cranberries.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, vanilla extract, orange juice and orange zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, gently folding the mixture together until a wet dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a generously floured work surface then shape it into an 8-inch circle that’s about 3/4-inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges then arrange the wedges on the prepared baking sheet, spacing the scones at least 2 inches apart.
- Brush the tops of the scones with heavy cream then bake them for about 20 minutes or until they’re pale golden. Remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- While the scones cool, make the glaze.
Make the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sifted confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, milk, melted butter and orange zest. (If the glaze is too thick, thin it with additional orange juice as needed.)
- Once the scones have cooled completely, drizzle them with the glaze and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.