Step aside, tater tots. There’s a new family favorite in town and it’ll have you skipping the spuds in favor of a more figure-friendly alternative. Welcome to the potato-free party, Easy Baked Broccoli Tots! You’re lean, you’re green and you’re a veggie-packed machine.
So just how does one turn a cruciferous vegetable into a healthy snack worthy of dipping and dunking into a rainbow of condiments? It all starts with the good ol’ blanching of the broccoli, which contributes two key elements to tot production:
- It brings out the bright green color of the veggie and ensures your resulting tots won’t be a shade of brown.
- It tenderizes the broccoli just enough to ensure your tots will be pillowy rather than crunchy.
Green vegetable pillows, you say? Count me in! These baked broccoli tots also steer clear of the deep-fryer, which means you can indulge time and time again without the guilt.
I’ve provided notes in the recipe below for how to make these tots dairy-free and/or gluten-free, so read on for the dietary swaps and substitutions to make this snack friendly for the whole family.
Not a fan of broccoli but still a tot-aholic? Don’t miss my recipe for 5-Ingredient Baked Cauliflower Tots!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup small diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Ranch dressing or ketchup, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets to the water and cook them just until fork tender, about 5 minutes. Thoroughly drain the florets and transfer them to a food processor. Pulse the broccoli for a few seconds just until the it breaks down into small pieces. (Do not overmix the broccoli or the mixture will be too wet to form into tots.)
- Measure out 3 packed cups of the broccoli and add it to a large bowl. Add the diced onion, breadcrumbs, egg and Parmesan cheese and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using your hands, portion out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and mold it into a tater tot shape. Arrange the tots on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the tots for about 20 minutes then flip them once and bake them an additional 10 to 15 minutes until crisped. Remove the tots from the oven and serve them with ketchup, Ranch dressing or hummus for dipping.
- The onion should to be cut small enough so that it’s not too chunky and can be easily mixed into the broccoli mixture.
- The cheese can be omitted in order to make this recipe dairy-free.
- The breadcrumbs can be swapped for finely crushed gluten-free pretzels, cereal or dried bread in order to make this recipe gluten-free.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.