Skip the store-bought deli pasta salads and whip up this crowd favorite recipe for Greek Pasta Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette.
Move over, macaroni and cheese. Warmer weather means your piping hot gooeyness is no longer the pasta du jour in my home. Instead, I’m embracing the crisp, cool allure of your culinary cousin: Greek Pasta Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette.
Yes, this is that pasta salad. The one that holds a permanent spot at picnic tables and barbecues all spring and summer long. The one that disappears faster than the rest of its fellow side dishes. The one that often simply involves noodles, veggies and a shake of store-bought salad dressing.
Well, we’re taking “the one” one step further by making a quick and easy homemade pasta salad dressing the real star of the show.
It’s a flavor-packed medley of crisp veggies, creamy feta cheese, al dente pasta, and sweet and tangy DIY vinaigrette. And it all comes together in minutes.
So get those noodles boiling, grab the season’s freshest veggies and whisk together this fan favorite Greek salad dressing (made with a secret ingredient!). Then stash it in the fridge and let the overnight flavor crew work its magic.
Ready to see this pasta salad in action? Tune in to the video below!
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Ready to kick those store-bought pasta salads to the curb? Don’t miss additional top-rated recipes perfect for any size crowd.
Asparagus Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing: Get the Recipe
Pea Pesto Pasta Salad: Get the Recipe
Greek Orzo Salad: Get the Recipe
For the pasta salad:
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked pasta, such as penne or rotini
- 2/3 cup sliced red onions
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 3/4 cup sliced olives
- 3/4 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Make the pasta salad:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it until al dente. Strain the pasta and transfer it to a large bowl to cool slightly. While the pasta cools, make the dressing.
Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, except for the olive oil. While whisking, stream in the olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, green peppers and feta cheese to the bowl with the pasta.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, tossing to combine, then cover the salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours and up to overnight. When ready to serve, toss the pasta salad again and enjoy cold or at room temperature.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
I cannot do red or green onions :-( do you think a sweet onion or shallot would flavor better?
A shallot would work, Barbara!
I made this in a hurry and it was great! But I did not read the dressing instructions properly and ended up mixing olive oil in with other ingredients. It seperated but we still enjoyed.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Caroline!
Nothing is perfect but this salad is very close. I know what it tastes like so there is little marinating time. Make it, bowl it, and that’s the marinating time.
AMAZING! I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipe, Carolyn!
I have made this dozens of times and it is always a hit.
I’m so glad you’re enjoying the recipe, Suzi!
This has been my go to recipe for years. I have made it so many times, I should be able to make it from memory by now! Haha Always a huge hit at barbecues!! Thanks :)
Love, love, LOVE reading this, Sarah! I’m so thrilled you’ve been enjoying the recipe!
I’m not a big fan of pasta salad, but this Greek version is great! I didn’t have olives or red onion, but it was still a hit!
I’m so thrilled you enjoyed the recipe, Missy Leslie!
This is a big hit whenever I make it. It is delicious.
Yay! I’m so happy you’ve been enjoying the recipe, Erin!
Great ideas and really easy
Used orzo pasta, which worked wonderfully. Was loved by all. Great side dish for a BBQ.
Awesome! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Linda!
This salad is very good!!!
A simple recipe!!
Woohoo! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Debbie!
I made this for dinner last night because was 90 degrees out and I didn’t want to turn on the oven. So glad I made it! It was delicious even with a short marinating time (90 mins).
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Sheila!
See More Comments