Last month’s digital Pie Party was a total success—as in 1,500 participants of success! I had such a great time sharing my S’more Pie recipe and reading all of your posts that I couldn’t wait to be a part of this month’s digital Pickling Party.
I’ve become a grilling guru this summer, at least from a city dweller’s perspective. Although I can’t get my hands on a real, outdoor grill, I’ve been firing up the flames under my stovetop grill pan for Grilled Sirloin Sliders, Grilled Buffalo Shrimp and my latest creation, grilled Andouille sausage topped with my homemade Pickled Red Onion and Carrot Relish.
It’s the ultimate grilling condiment for transforming your everyday burgers, dogs and chops into all-star main dishes loaded with the perfect balance of spicy, sweet and tangy tastes. Best of all, it’s ready to eat in just 15 minutes and will last up to two weeks in your fridge. Dig in to the recipe below and share a link in the comments to your Pickling Party creation!
- 1 large red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced (small)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blanch the sliced onions and diced carrots in a small saucepan of boiling water for one minute.
- Strain the vegetables into a colander and then return them back to the pan.
- Add the white vinegar, sugar, crushed red chili flakes, pepper and salt. Then add just enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook it for one minute.
- Pour the pickled relish (with the liquid) into jars and let it cool completely before sealing the jars. The relish will keep for up to two weeks in the fridge.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe inspired by Rick Bayless.
simple, delicious, used it on pork sandwiches, hot dogs, fish tacos…. yum. Love the hot pepper kick!
YUM! I”m so thrilled you’ve been enjoying the relish, Fred!
can i use white onions and add a liitle sugar?
I remember eating this relish a while ago. Just made it and love it.
I’m so thrilled you enjoyed the recipe, Marilyn!
I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), and I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Be sure to tag it #pickleparty. Good stuff!
Hey Sean! Thanks so much, will do.
This looks really good- I’ll be trying this recipe for the weekend. I also pinned it :)
Thank you, Kelly Jo! It’s a great way to spice up summer’s classic grilled eats. Enjoy!