Powder blue “RIVERS” jersey? Check. Pre-game brunch with my mom’s famous eggs? Check. Wearing said “RIVERS” jersey while secretly cheering on Tom Brady and his haircut? Inconspicuous check.
My family had been anxiously awaiting this past weekend for almost a year. It was the San Diego Chargers versus the New England Patriots and it was on our hometown turf in southern California. The game alone was worth the 3,000-mile cross country trek. To kickstart the day of family, friends and football, we mixed up Bloody Marys for a crowd because nothing says gameday like a pitcher of spiked tomato juice.
Whether you’re headed to the stadium next weekend or are parking it on the couch, mix together this embarrassingly easy cocktail for you and your friends and then move on to the day’s real purpose – eating – with tailgating-inspired recipes for any size crowd.
- 1 (46-oz.) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vodka
- ice, for serving
- celery stalks, for garnish
- pimento-stuffed olives, for garnish
- In a large pitcher, combine all of the ingredients except for the vodka. Refrigerate until chilled.
- When ready to serve, stir in the vodka and mix well.
- Pour into glasses filled with ice and garnish with celery stalks and pimento-stuffed olives.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe adapted from Growlies for Groups.