What’s not to love about a pizza starring homemade pizza dough? I’m taking the DIY deliciousness one step further by kicking the crispy crust to the curb in favor of the ultimate homemade focaccia bread.
The star of the show here really is the base of this easy, cheesy pizza. The fuss-free focaccia comes together in minutes and provides the perfect blank canvas for all of your favorite pizza toppings.
The thicker focaccia crust can handle a whole lot-o-toppings. So either keep it simple with homemade marinara sauce and tons of fresh mozzarella or pile on the pepperoni, fresh veggies and extra cheese.
Ready to spruce up your slice? Skip the thin crust in favor of thick and pillowy Homemade Focaccia Bread Pizza.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus additional for greasing pan)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon instant (rapid rise) yeast
- 3/4 cup store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Assorted pizza toppings, such as pepperoni, mushrooms and olives
- Grease a 13x9-inch metal baking pan with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the warm water, 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt, flour and yeast. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute just until combined.
- Scoop the batter (it will be very sticky) into the prepared pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 1 hour until it has puffed.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Poke the dough all over with your fingers then drizzle the top of it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake the focaccia for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown then remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes still in the pan.
- Transfer the focaccia bread from the pan onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Top the focaccia with the marinara sauce, cheese and pizza toppings. Return the focaccia to the oven for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Slice and serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Focaccia dough recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.