Skip the banana bread and preheat your oven for this quick, crowd-friendly recipe for Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins that pair fresh fruit with rich chocolate for the ultimate breakfast duo.
“Muffins are just cupcakes without frosting.”
I will never forget when a friend enlightened me with this revelation a few years ago. Of course I know the ingredient makeup of muffins and cupcakes are nearly identical, but somehow I can justify a muffin for breakfast but can’t fathom the thought of a cupcake before 11 a.m. So where does this leave us?
Well, right here with a batch of these super-soft, ever-so-moist, insanely addicting Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins. Call them muffins. Call them cupcakes. Eat them for breakfast. Eat them for dessert. All I know is that I had inhaled two before the chunks even had a chance to cool.
What I love about chocolate chunks (as opposed to the classic chocolate chips) is that they give a little bit of bite to an otherwise fluffy banana base. And this is in addition to the obvious benefit they have in the size department, versus tinier chips.
Reserve a few chocolate chunks for sprinkling atop the muffins prior to baking. It’ll ensure you get that shiny, gooey, freshly melted chocolate on all of your muffin tops.
So which camp do you fall in? Are you Team Chocolate Chips? Or Team Chocolate Chunks? Weigh in below and find more inspiration for all things banana with recipes for The Ultimate Moist Banana Bread, Banana Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce and Banana Nut Pancakes!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large bananas, mashed well
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chunks, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with baking cups or grease the muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, egg, vegetable oil and sour cream.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in ¾ cups of chocolate chips then fill each muffin cup ¾ full. Top with remaining ¼ cup chocolate chunks.
- Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, allow them to cool for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.