Ready to skip the slice in favor of pizza’s more portable culinary cousin? Then look no further than these quick-fix chicken calzones starring pizza dough envelopes loaded with a creamy trifecta of cheeses, plenty of fresh garlic and chopped fresh chives.
The real beauty here is that these chicken calzones can be as homemade or as store-bought as your heart desires. Opt for my Ultimate Homemade Pizza Dough and go-to Simple Roast Chicken with Garlic recipes, or skip the prep and swap in store-bought pizza dough and a rotisserie chicken. Either road will lead you to a delicious destination. And unlike traditional calzones made with marinara sauce in the filling, I’ve drawn inspiration from my favorite white pizza and kept the tomato sauce on the side for ample dipping and dunking.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 pound homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Marinara sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Divide the pizza dough into 4 portions then roll each portion into a circle about 7 inches wide.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, chives, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir in the chicken then divide mixture evenly between the four circles of dough, spreading the mixture on one half of the circle and leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken mixture.
- Fold the non-filled side of the dough over the filling to form a half-circle shape then pinch and seal the edges together. Transfer the calzones to the baking sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Brush the tops of the calzones with the melted butter then sprinkle them with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the calzones for about 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. Remove the calzones from the oven and serve them with the marinara sauce for dipping.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.