Ditch the deep-fryer in favor of this fast and fresh recipe for Healthy Egg Roll In a Bowl starring your choice of protein.
Takeout-inspired recipes are popular around these parts, whether it’s DIY dumplings in spicy sauce, homemade spins on pan-fried potstickers or the current front-runner in the ratings department (1,000+ 5-star reviews and counting!), Easy Beef and Broccoli.
If you’re ready to tackle the takeout favorite while ditching the deep-fryer and the wrapper entirely, then this Healthy Egg Roll In a Bowl is your new go-to weeknight meal.
It is, quite literally, an entire veggie- and protein-packed meal in a bowl with endless ingredient customizations.
Follow the recipe below for flavor-packed cabbage, carrots, and ground chicken sautéed with plenty of fresh garlic and ginger, or swap in your go-to veggies and protein of choice to suit your palate.
I love serving this Healthy Egg Roll In a Bowl with a fried egg on top for added protein, and also for that classic runny yolk that you can break and stir into your bowl. A drizzle of sweet chili sauce on top ensures you won’t be missing a single dip or dunk!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 pound ground turkey, chicken, pork or beef
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, plus more for serving
- 3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 4 fried or poached eggs
- Black sesame seeds, for serving
- Add the olive oil and sesame oil to a large skillet set over medium-low heat then add the ground turkey. Cook, breaking apart the turkey with a spatula until it is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and scallions to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, soy sauce, and Thai sweet chili sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is wilted and the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture among serving bowls then top with the fried eggs. Garnish each bowl with a drizzle of sweet chili sauce and the sesame seeds then serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.