Step aside, Rice Krispies treats! There’s a new stackable sweet in town and it sneaks in a one-two protein punch with the addition of creamy peanut butter. The result is marshmallow treats with a mission: To satisfy and stave off hunger for taste testers of all ages!
I like to think of these Peanut Butter Cheerios Marshmallow Treats as the slightly more mature version of their Rice Krispies counterpart. They’re just as sticky-sweet, but with a bit more nutritional value and additional versatility when it comes to customizing the flavor.
If peanut butter isn’t an option due to allergies or other concerns, whisk in any other type of nut butter to ensure a touch of protein lands in ever chewy Cheerio-packed bite. And feel free to mix up the festive drizzle on top with white chocolate, dark chocolate, semisweet chocolate or a combination of all three.
These quick-fix marshmallow treats come together in minutes and make for the ultimate lunchbox addition, after-school snack or easy solution for hungry husbands (they’re kid- and adult-tested… and approved!). So grab the box of Cheerios and your favorite nut butter and get ready to satisfy those cravings with the latest and greatest marshmallow treats to hit the snack scene.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (10-oz.) package marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Cheerios cereal
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Coat a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot set over low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and cook, stirring, until the marshmallows have melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the peanut butter then stir in the Cheerios until they are well coated. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, pressing it firmly into an even layer. Allow the treats to cool to room temperature.
- Once the treats are completely cooled, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or in a double-boiler. Transfer the melted chocolate to a sealable plastic bag then pipe it across the top of the treats. (Alternately, use a fork to splatter the chocolate across the top.) Allow the chocolate to cool then use a sharp knife to cut the treats into 12 squares. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe adapted from Kellogg's Rice Krispies.