We have Instagram to thank for this one. It all started with a quick snap I took of my mom’s famous egg sandwich. Seems pretty simple, right? And the beauty of this savory-meets-sweet sandwich is that it is easy … just as long as you follow a few basic breakfasting tips for egg sandwich success:
- DO experiment with bread varieties. Toast, bagel, English muffin—pick something sturdy and substantial.
- DON’T fry the eggs in anything other than bacon fat. Only good can come from cooking things in bacon fat.
- DO pay attention to the cheese to eggs ratio. This is an egg sandwich, not a grilled cheese sandwich.
- DON’T skip and/or fear the addition of the jam. It lends a critical sweet note to balance out the savory elements.
You may be wondering, “Should I add something healthy? Maybe some spinach? Or perhaps a slice of tomato?” And the answer is “no.” You don’t mess with the simplicity of The Ultimate Egg Sandwich. You cook the bacon. You fry the eggs in the bacon fat. You toast the bread. You melt the cheese. You embrace the hot mess that is attempting to eat it, broken yolk, gooey cheese, sticky jam and all.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 1 slice sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry jam
- Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan set over medium-low heat until it reaches your desired level of crispiness. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the pan.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and increase the heat to medium. Sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper atop the eggs and fry them until the whites are fully cooked and the yolks are barely set.
- Toast the bread then immediately place the cheese on one piece of bread and spread the jam on the other. Arrange the bacon atop the cheese then place the eggs atop the bacon. Top the sandwich with the second piece of bread. Slice and serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not republish this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
To those who wonder about adding peanut butter – I love pb and bacon sandwiches so why not add the egg and cheese, will try at lunch today.
Do you think you could add peanut butter to this as well?!
I’ve never tried that, but I bet it would be amazing!
See More Comments