It’s that time of year again! Time to swap the skinny jeans for stretch pants and let the Thanksgiving feasting begin. Of course Thanksgiving is synonymous with Thanksgiving leftovers, and I have dozens (literally dozens!) of recipes to make the most of your fridge full of leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and even cranberry sauce.
The star of the Thanksgiving show is up first with a quick and hearty turkey chili recipe topped off with your choice of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and scallions.
All you need is 30 minutes to go from last night’s leftovers to today’s reinvented meal-in-a-bowl. Best of all, you can serve this leftover turkey chili atop … wait for it … leftover mashed potatoes. Win and win!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 1 green pepper, small diced
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (15-oz.) cans pinto beans in chili sauce
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 cups chopped leftover turkey
- Chili toppings, such as sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese and sliced scallions
- Add the olive oil to a large, heavy-bottom pot set over medium heat. Once the oil is warm, add the minced garlic, diced onions and diced peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground cumin, chili powder, pinto beans (with chili sauce), kidney beans, crushed tomatoes and brown sugar to the pot, stirring to combine. Add the chopped turkey, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed throughout, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the chili topped with sour cream, avocado, cheddar cheese and scallions.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.