The sweet-meets-salty snack favorite gets a holiday upgrade in this festive recipe for Christmas Saltine Cracker Toffee that comes together in minutes.
I’ve never met a sweet and salty snack I didn’t love, but add “crunchy” and “chewy” to the same lineup and I am a fan for life. Every year when the holidays roll around, I kickstart the baking bonanza with my family’s favorite sweets. There are the Marshmallow Christmas Wreaths, the Candy Cane Cookies, and of course, the tried and tested Best Cutout Sugar Cookies.
The tradition continues this year, but with one new-to-us addition: Christmas Saltine Cracker Toffee. It’s got a cult-like following for a reason, and you better believe it’s just as easy to make as it looks.
How to Make Saltine Cracker Toffee
If you can open a pack of crackers, let’s just say you are halfway to dessert nirvana. After laying out the crackers, you whip up a quick melted butter and brown sugar combo that’s poured and then slathered atop the Saltines. Pop it in the oven then get the chocolate ready…
In researching my own spin on this beloved favorite (known to many as “Christmas Crack”), I gave it a test drive with sprinkling the chocolate chips atop the hot caramel and then attempting to spread the chocolate into an even layer. For whatever reason, I found this very cumbersome and not all that effective.
The solution? Melt the chocolate in the microwave first and then spread it atop the slightly cooled caramel. Not only is it an easier method but it also yields a shinier, smoother chocolate topping.
How Long Does Saltine Cracker Toffee Last?
The key to prolonging the freshness of toffee is to store it in the fridge or freezer. The cool environment will ensure the sugar and chocolate stay firm.
Package it up in sealable plastic bags and stash it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 3 months.Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 48 Saltine Crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil
- Christmas sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepot set over medium-high heat then whisk in the brown sugar until combined. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, undisturbed, for 3 minutes. Pour the caramel atop the crackers, spreading it into an even layer.
- Bake the toffee for 5 minutes then remove it from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. While it is cooling, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each increment, until smooth. Pour the chocolate atop the caramel then use a spatula to spread it in an even layer. While the chocolate is still wet, top it with sprinkles then let the toffee cool completely, about 30 minutes. (Alternately, place the baking sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes until the chocolate is set.)
- Break the toffee into pieces and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.