Bypass the freezer aisle and whip up a DIY recipe for Easy Homemade Mini Corn Dogs perfect for dipping and dunking!
The humble hot dog can be many a wondrous snack, especially when it goes beyond the bun. While Everything Puff Pastry Pigs In a Blanket have been a mealtime game-changer around here, it was time to tackle a DIY spin on a deep-fried delicacy I grew up eating regularly while making the rounds at mall food courts: corn dogs!
The setup couldn’t be more simple for this snack-sized spin on homemade corn dogs.
A quick-fix cornmeal batter, made with just a handful of fridge and pantry staples, comes together in minutes. Then it’s time to choose your hot dog (or cocktail weenie!) and grab the skewers, which can be lollipop sticks or Popsicle sticks.
Coat the halved hot dogs in the cornmeal batter then dunk them in boiling oil to see the cornmeal crust come to life. It puffs up perfectly around the hot dogs, creating the ultimate snack-on-a-stick.
Looking to build your stash of freezer snacks? The fried corn dogs, once cooled completely, can be stored securely in sealable plastic bags then microwaved or baked to be reheated.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Find more inspiration for whipping up the ultimate snack food lineup with top-rated recipes for onion rings, French fries and puff pastry pigs in-a-blanket!
Beer-Battered Onion Rings: Get the Recipe
Crispy Baked Onion Rings: Get the Recipe
Baked Sweet Potato Fries: Get the Recipe
Everything Puff Pastry Pigs In a Blanket: Get the Recipe
- 1 (12-oz.) package hot dogs
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- lollipop sticks; deep-fry thermometer
- Cut each hot dog in half then insert a lollipop stick into the cutoff end of each hot dog. Thoroughly dry off the hot dogs with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined using a spoon or spatula. (See Kelly’s Note.)
- Add 4 inches of oil to a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot. Attach the deep-fry thermometer then heat the oil over medium-high heat until the thermometer reaches 360ºF. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Dip each hot dog in the batter until it’s completely coated, lightly shake off the excess then lower it into the hot oil. Fry the corn dog until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes, then transfer it to the paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the breading and frying process with the remaining hot dogs. Serve immediately.
- When dipping the hot dogs in the batter, it’s easiest if you pour the batter into a tall glass.
- The lollipop sticks can be fried, so you can carefully lower the corn dogs into the oil, stick and all.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com.