Ditch the deep-fryer and forget the freezer aisle in favor of this fast, fresh and family favorite recipe for Baked Chicken and Cheese Taquitos.
Growing up in San Diego, taquitos (a.k.a. flautas) made many an appearance on our family dinner table. While I’m all for the classic deep-fried variety (of onion rings and arancini and ravioli and…), I’ve lightened the caloric load with this healthy, baked take on traditional taquitos. I love serving these with homemade guacamole and fresh salsa. All that’s missing is a Strawberry Margarita Popsicle for dessert!
How to Make Chicken and Cheese Taquitos
While taquitos are typically made with corn tortillas, feel free to use flour tortillas. The flour tortillas will be much easier and pliable to roll up (ie. less cracking!). Just keep in mind, they will need a few minutes extra in the oven to get as crispy as their corn counterpart.
How Long Do I Cook Taquitos in the Air Fryer?
Start by preheating your air fryer to 400°F, coating the basket with cooking spray. After placing the taquitos seam-side down in your air fryer, spray a bit more cooking oil over each taquito to ensure each of them gets that crisp, crunchy exterior. These will cook up fast, in just under 8 minutes!
How to Make Taquitos In the Oven
You’ll want to set your oven temperature higher (in this case 425ºF) than your air fryer to achieve that same perfect crispy exterior. After lining your sheet pan with parchment paper, place each rolled taquito seam-side down. These will bake up to a toasty golden brown in just 15 to 20 minutes!Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (See Kelly's Notes for air fryer instructions.)
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until it’s translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes until it’s golden and fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low, and then add the lime juice, cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper to the pan, stirring to combine. Add the shredded chicken, tossing to combine.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to a large bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes, and then stir in the shredded cheese.
- Arrange the tortillas on work surface then place about 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of each tortilla. Tightly roll up the tortilla, secure it with a toothpick, and then place it seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the filling and rolling process with the remaining tortillas.
- Bake the taquitos for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and crispy. (See below for air fryer instructions.) Serve with guacamole and salsa.
- Taquitos are traditionally made with corn tortillas, however you can use flour tortillas, which are much more pliable, and thus easier to roll.
- To cook the taquitos in an air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Grease the basket with cooking spray then arrange a portion of the taquitos in an even layer. Coat the taquitos with cooking spray then air-fry them until golden brown and crispy, about 8 minutes.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.