Make morning mealtime a breeze with a make-ahead recipe for Overnight Egg Casserole with Breakfast Sausage.
Breakfast can be a hectic endeavor, whether it’s a busy weekday morning or a last-minute weekend brunch for 2 or 20 of your friends. The answer to the chaos? Make the meal ahead of time! And that’s why I love this hearty egg casserole loaded with onions, peppers, breakfast sausage and cheddar cheese, plus cubed French bread, which means this really is a whole meal in a single dish.
The best part of this entire recipe? The casserole is made a day in advance, stashed in the fridge then baked off right before your guests arrive. The result is a hearty, cheesy, flavor-packed breakfast casserole that resembles a savory bread pudding. Whip up a fruit salad to serve alongside it and last-minute guests have never been more welcome!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 pound bulk ground breakfast sausage
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole or non-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound white, whole wheat or French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 7 cups)
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan with unsalted butter and set it aside. Line a plate with paper towels.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium heat, cook the breakfast sausage, breaking it apart into pieces. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to the pan. Once the butter has melted, add the onions and peppers and cook the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl then add the sausage to the bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper then stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Arrange the bread cubes in an even layer in the greased baking dish then add the sausage mixture on top, spreading it across the bread. Pour the egg mixture on top of the sausage mixture then cover the dish securely with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the casserole from the fridge and discard the plastic wrap. Let the casserole sit at room temperature for 30 minutes then place it on a baking sheet and bake it for 35 to 45 minutes until the eggs are fully cooked. Slice and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.