A new year. A fresh start. A clean slate. And a big ol’ kale and Brussels sprout salad with lemon dressing to kickstart our healthy eating habits on Day 1 of 2014.
Nothing says “healthy” quite like kale. The nutrient-packed leafy green made not one, not two, not three, but four appearances on the site in 2013. So while a salad of kale ribbons is nothing new around these parts, the addition of love-em-or-hate-em Brussels sprouts and sweet and tangy lemon dressing makes this healthy dish the exact knockout punch your New Year’s resolution needs.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the dressing:
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 4 cups finely shredded Lacinato kale (loosely packed)
- 4 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts (loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest and honey. Stream in the olive oil while whisking continuously until well combined. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste. (You can add more lemon juice or agave nectar to adjust the acidity or sweetness to your personal taste.)
Assemble the salad:
- In a large bowl, toss together the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts and toasted almonds. Add as much dressing as desired, tossing to combine, then add the cheese and toss. Serve immediately.
- To shred the Brussels sprouts, cut off the stems, halve them and using a very sharp knife, cut them into shreds.
- To shred the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, stack the leaves on top of one another, roll them up and then cut the roll into ribbons.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit.