Ditch the deli counter and whip up a homemade recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing.
That big bowl of flavor and crunch up there is my dinner at least once a week. Fast, fresh and figure-friendly, my mom’s recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad has become my go-to alternative to all things DoorDash, Uber Eats and GrubHub.
This colorful mix features a plethora of tastes and textures, from shredded purple cabbage and tender chicken to crunchy almonds, crisp cucumber batons, and yes, those classic Mandarin oranges. All that goodness is tossed in a homemade sesame dressing that’s sweet, tangy and a touch sour.
This Chinese Chicken Salad is ideal for meal prep and lunches on-the-go. Simply layer the ingredients into mason jars and stash the dressing in a plastic bag. When you’re ready to dig in, pour the dressing into the jar, seal it, shake it and get your salad on!
If you’re looking for more ways to ditch the delivery and still satisfy those takeout cravings, don’t miss recipes for Baked Orange Chicken, Chicken Egg Rolls with Ginger-Soy Dip, and Sticky Pineapple Chicken.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the salad:
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (See Kelly's Notes)
- 3 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced into batons
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup crispy chow mein noodles
- 1 cup Mandarin oranges
For the dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients, tossing until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and then pour over the salad, tossing to coat.
- I buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the meat (discarding the skin). It's fast, fresh and just enough meat for 4 to 6 servings.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.