Toss the takeout menus in favor of a DIY recipe for Easy Sesame Chicken Egg Rolls perfect for dunking in sweet-and-sour sauce.
Chicken egg rolls, kale egg rolls, avocado egg rolls, chocolate egg rolls—you name the egg roll and I will dip and devour it. A hot, crispy wrapper stuffed with countless varieties of fillings. What’s not to love?
These finger-friendly snacks steal my order (and my stomach) any time they appear on a menu.
Now you can toss those takeout menus and whip up Easy Sesame Chicken Egg Rolls from the comfort of your kitchen. While ground chicken is notoriously bland and dry, it gets a big flavor and moisture boost from veggies, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil.
Wrap it all up, seal it shut and then give ’em a plunge into boiling oil until golden brown and crispy.
Then all that’s left to do is take your pick from store-bought sweet chili sauce or homemade ginger-soy sauce for dipping and dunking. But no matter which sauce you choose, one thing is certain: The sesame chicken filling provides an explosion of flavor in every crispy, crunchy bite.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions (green and white parts)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 dozen 7- to 8-inch egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Thai sweet chili sauce or sweet-and-sour sauce, for serving
- Deep-fry thermometer
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, carrots, scallions, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and egg until well combined.
- Place one egg roll wrapper on your work surface and spoon about 1 ½ tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the lower one-third of the wrapper. Roll from the bottom upwards, tucking and folding in the sides as you roll. Brush the edges of the wrapper with water to seal them. Repeat the filling and rolling process with the remaining wrappers.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. In a large stock pot set over medium heat, add about 2 inches of oil, leaving at least 2 inches between the top of the oil and the top of the pot. Attach the deep fry thermometer.
- Once the oil reaches 360°F, add several egg rolls to the pot and cook them, flipping as needed, until they’re golden brown and the filling is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the egg rolls to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and repeat the cooking process with the remaining egg rolls.
- Serve the egg rolls immediately with Thai sweet chili sauce or ginger-soy dipping sauce.
- The chicken mixture does not have to be cooked prior to adding it to the egg roll wrappers.
This post may contain affiliate links.