Homemade pizza dough has taken on many a savory and sweet shape around these parts, from Bruschetta Pizza and Garlic Knots to Cinnamon Rolls and Pizza Pull-Apart Bread. But now I’m skipping the slice in favor of perfectly portable (hello, school lunch!) Cheesy Chicken Pizza Pockets.
This recipe can be as homemade or as store-bought as your heart desires. Go the full-blown DIY route with recipes for homemade pizza dough and homemade marinara sauce, or cut your prep time in half with your favorite store-bought alternatives. Best of all, these quick and easy pizza pockets are completely customizable and can be made with shredded rotisserie chicken, leftover turkey, chopped veggies or any other spare odds and ends stashed in your fridge.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 pound homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/3 cup mini pepperoni (See Kelly's Notes)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought marinara sauce, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon whole milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pizza seasoning or dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the pizza dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half lengthwise. Cut each smaller rectangle into three 4-inch squares for a total of six squares.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken, mini pepperoni, spinach, cheese and ½ cup of the marinara sauce, stirring until combined. Divide the mixture between each of the six pizza dough squares placing it in the bottom corner of the dough and leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges.
- Whisk together the egg and the milk then brush the two edges of the dough nearest the filling with the egg wash. Fold the unfilled side of the dough over the filling and very firmly pinch the two pieces of dough together. Place each pizza pocket on the prepared baking sheet then brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle them with the Parmesan cheese. Cut a small slit in the top of each pizza pocket.
- Bake the pizza pockets for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and the dough is fully baked. Remove the pizza pockets from the oven, sprinkle them with the pizza seasoning and serve them with the remaining ½ cup of marinara sauce for dipping.
- If you can’t find mini pepperoni at your local grocery store, you can slice regular size pepperoni into smaller pieces.
- Pizza dough is easier to roll at room temperature, rather than when it's chilled.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.